PDA

View Full Version : Anniversaries

BBSven
03-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi all,

Im kinda into history so I thought every once in a while I'd share a famous anniversary or two that occurs on the given day. Provided anyone's interested, of course :)

So, today's anniversary is:

Alexander Graham Bell made the very first phone call in history on this day in 1876. He is claimed to have said: "Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you."

Have a nice day :)

tob1n
03-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi bbsven, as for one, i'd be interested.;)

BBSven
03-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Hey,

Today, March 13 is the day British astronomer William Herschel discovered Uranus, the seventh planet in our solar system, in 1781.

Cheers,

BB

BBSven
03-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Hi all,

as you might know, March 15 is an extraordinary day from more than one point of view.

In 44 BC on this day Gaius Iulius Caesar was stabbed to death on the senate floor by Marcus Iunius Brutus and Gaius Cassius Longinus, among others.

In 1493, Christopher Columbus returns to Spain from his first voyage to the Americas.

In 1848, as part of a Europe-wide wave of revolutions, Hungary rises against her Austrian suppressors.

Best,

BB

BBSven
03-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Hey,

it's been a while... Anyways, today also remembers some notable anniversaries, including one closely connected to poker; that is, on March 19, 1931 gambling was legalised in Nevada, USA :)

In 2003, at US President George W. Bush's order the war on Iraq started.

Moreover, today is the time of a notable astrological phenomenon, the "supermoon." This means it is not only a full moon tonight but also the moon is the closest to Erath in its orbit. In fact, it hasn't been this close to our planet at the time of a full moon for about 20 years or so.

Have a nice weekend,

BB

Mr. Pi
03-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Very nice ones! I wonder if you can actually notice the difference in the size of the moon too. Would be cool to take a photo of the moon today for instance and compare with another full moon picture which was shot under "normal circumstances".

And well about the gambling legalization in Nevada - I guess we managed to get some extra fish to feed on with that.

I like this topic and I'm quite curious what will be the anniversary for tomorrow.
Keep the topic up cuz its cool,
Pi :)

BBSven
03-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Well thank you, appreciate that :) Where I live it was a cloudy night, unfortunately, so if you have any photos, I'd be interested :)

Now, in 1916 on this day Albert Einstein published probably the most famous of his theories: that of relativity.

More sadly, I guess these couple of days will mark the beginning of whatever unfolds in Lybia... :(

BB

BBSven
03-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Hi all,

we have some serious stuff here today :D

On March 21, 1971 Otto von Bismarck became Chancellor of the newly formed German Empire.
On the very same day, Henry Morton Stanley set out to search for missing explorer David Livingstone. That is, if I'm not mistaken ;)

In 1963 the most famous penitentiary of all is closed: the Alcatraz.

In 1980, the US announces a boycott of the Moscow Summer Olympics, protesting against the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan of 1979.

I guess that's all for today, but I'll be back with more :)

Cheers,

BB

Mr. Pi
03-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Nice ones! Keep them coming! Its cool to read a tad bit of history each day. Makes me feel somewhat more in picture - if you know what I mean.

About the Moon on Saturday - well highfive about the cloudy nights... :|

Found this one via google tho. Pretty sick:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GVOzcL819mQ/TTcCEYzUT8I/AAAAAAAAFvU/Oq8fxLXUHG0/s400/nov-full-moon.jpg

And as a comparison a regular moon lol:
http://www.indianpublicholidays.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/SuperMoon-Predictions.jpg

BBSven
03-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Wow that's awesome... Too bad to have failed to see it :(

BBSven
03-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi all,

As you may already know, on this day in 1874, magician Harry Houdini was born in Budapest.

In 1603, Queen Elizabeth I of England died; this is also the day of French author Jules Verne passing away in 1905, as well as British field marshal Bernard Montgomery in 1976. May them rest in peace.

Best,

BB

BBSven
03-27-2011, 12:12 AM
Hi,

it's alread March 27 here, so here's the thing :)

On this day in 1886, the Apache Wars are practically finished after warrior Geronimo surrenders himself to the US army.

Also, in 1958 Nikita Khrushchev emerges as Premier of the USSR.

Cheers,

BB

BBSven
03-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi all,

let's see what do we have today :)

In 1930, Turkey's most famous city Constantinople (formerly also known as Byzantium) and her capital city Angora become today's Istanbul and Ankara, respectively.

Former US president Dwight D. Eisenhower died on this day in 1969.

Today is the birthday of Cezch writer Bohumil Hrabal (1914-1997), author of "I Served the King of England," among others. Also, on this day in 1986 Lady Gaga was born :D

Cheers,

BB

BBSven
03-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi, it's March 29 today :)

In 1871, Queen Victoria opened the Royal Albert Hall on this day.

Also, the end for the Vietnam War began when the last US combat troops left South Vietnam in 1973.

Have a nice evening,

BB

BBSven
03-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Dear all,

we have indeed some notable anniversaries today.

In 1867, the "Seward's Folly" took place: Alaska was purchased from Russia by the United States for $7.2 million (a bargain for a WSOP champion, isn't it? :D)

In 1981, an attempt was made on newly elected US President Ronald Reagan's life, shooting him in the chest in Washington, DC.

On this day in 1925 died Rudolf Steiner, Austrian anthropologist, whose pedagogical ideas were put into practice in the Waldorf school system. Also, in 2002 Queen Mother Elizabeth of the UK died.

C u

BB

BBSven
03-31-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi all :)

March 31 is the day when the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France was inaugurated in 1889.

It is also when French philosopher René Descartes was born in 1596, in addition to being the birthday of Austrian composer Joseph Haydn (1732-1809) and of Oszkár Asboth (1891-1960), inventor of the modern helicopter. Moreover, Sir Isaac Newton died in 1727 on this day.

tob1n
04-01-2011, 03:47 PM
HI BBSven,

sorry to mess your nice topic up, but i felt like i need to contribute: In 1976 this day, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak formed Apple Inc, one of today's leading computer/consumer electronics/software manufacturer.

http://amazingdata.com/mediadata12/Image/amazing_fun_weird_cool_logo-apple_200907240533322768.gif

Have a nice day, y'all!

BBSven
04-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Hi,

on the contrary, please do! :) Its funny, haven't thought of that, thanks! :)

BB

BBSven
04-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Hi!

On April 2, 1792 the dollar is introduced as the official currency of the US. The term is derived from the Low Countries word "daler", meaning "coin" and has the Spanish peso as a model.

In 1975, the famous, 553 metres (1,815 ft) tall CN Tower in Toronto, Canada is finished.

In 1982, Argentina invades the Falkland Islands, thus beginning the Falklands War with the UK.

See you at the freeroll tonight :)

BB

BBSven
04-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Hello there,

some facts for today :)

On this day in 1882, bandit Jesse James was murdered by his gang's member Robert Ford.

In 1885, Gottlieb Daimler's engine design was patented in Germany.

In 1936, the alleged kidnapper and murderer of baby Charles Augustus Lindbergh, Jr., Bruno Richard Hauptmann was executed.

In 1996, the man from whom Phil Laak borrowed his nickname, Theodore Kaczynski, the "Unabomber" was arrested in Montana, USA.

Although there'd be more, I think this is enough for tonight :)

Best,

BB

want2push
04-03-2011, 10:09 PM
HI BBSven,

sorry to mess your nice topic up, but i felt like i need to contribute: In 1976 this day, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak formed Apple Inc, one of today's leading computer/consumer electronics/software manufacturer.

http://amazingdata.com/mediadata12/Image/amazing_fun_weird_cool_logo-apple_200907240533322768.gif

Have a nice day, y'all!

I don't wonder that they changed the initial logo the first year. :p

BBSven
04-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Hi all,

we also have some interesting anniversaries for today :)

In 1818, the flag of the US was adopted on this day by the US Congress.

In 1949, the NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organisation) was founded.

On April 4, 1968, Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated, allegedly by James Earl Ray.

Finally, as a response to tob1n :) , in 1975 the Microsoft Corporation was founded on this day by Bill Gates and Paul Allen.

Have a nice evening,

BB

BBSven
04-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Hello there,

let's see what we have today :)

In 1199, King Richard I the Lionheart died on this day due to an infection from an arrow wound.

The first modern Olympic Games began on April 6, 1896 in Athens.

In 1909, US sailor Robert Peary is claimed to be the first man to have reached the North Pole.

In 1917, the US declared war on Germany in World War I.

On this day died Italian painter and architect Raffaello Santi (1483-1520) and German painter and theorist Albrecht Dürer (1471-1528).

Have a nice day,

BB

tob1n
04-06-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't wonder that they changed the initial logo the first year. :p

oh yeah, they misunderstood what a logo was like, but hey, they looked like this at that time:

http://www.silvermac.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/steve_and_steve.jpg
:D:D:D

BBSven, keep it going, very nice thread!:)

Mr. Pi
04-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Keep 'em coming, keep 'em coming cuz this thread is just too cool!

Btw here are some windows logos related to the anniversary of the bill gates company founding.

http://www.pctroublesinc.com/WindowsLogos.jpg

tob1n
04-07-2011, 03:54 PM
+1 :D you forgot this beauty, my first windows evar:

http://www.radikalmod.hu/upload/news/4687_01_win31logo.gif

BBSven
04-07-2011, 05:34 PM
oh yeah, they misunderstood what a logo was like, but hey, they looked like this at that time:

http://www.silvermac.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/steve_and_steve.jpg
:D:D:D

BBSven, keep it going, very nice thread!:)

MegaLOL :D And thanks :)

Pi, thx for the feedback, too :)

Today's stuff is as follows:

In 1348, Charles University in Prague was established (a friend of mine attends it this semester :))

In 1948, the United Nations launch the World Health Organization (WHO) and so is today World Health Day.

In 1955, Winston Churchill resigned as Prime Minister.

Best :)

BB

BBSven
04-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Hi all,

it's been some time...

To make up for it, the most important anniversary of April 9 was that of the end of the American Civil War, marked by General Robert E. Lee's surrender to General Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox, Virginia in 1865.

On April 10, 1912 the Titanic left port Southampton, beginning her single voyage.

Have a nice afternoon,

BB

tob1n
04-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Hi all,

it's been some time...

To make up for it, let me remind you of the most important anniversary: today is April 15, FRIDAY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

Have a nice weekend, y'all:D

Mr. Pi
04-15-2011, 08:45 PM
GOD NO GOD NO! THE SPIRIT OF THE DEVIL HAUNTS US ALL.

This song is the reason why dolphins are swimming out to the shores I guess. Some crazy guy in a submarine plays this song all over.

Pi :(

castor11
04-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Hi all,

This is hurt me, but i didn't listen this song...:)

BBSven
04-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Hi all,

it's been some time...

To make up for it, let me remind you of the most important anniversary: today is April 15, FRIDAY.

I watched this video and the telephone rang, a voice sayin "Seven days". I was like "Can you make it seven minutes? I wish no more to live this world".

Mr. Pi
04-19-2011, 10:02 AM
I watched this video and the telephone rang, a voice sayin "Seven days". I was like "Can you make it seven minutes? I wish no more to live this world".

I lolled at this one. Nice lol. Yeah I have no idea why couldnt I be BETTER than her singing that song. Oh and the lyrics are just deep and senseful as hell.

tob1n
04-20-2011, 10:42 AM

I lol'd:D this is even worse, just for the sickos out there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npgdw5Zb7TY

Mr. Pi
04-20-2011, 01:37 PM

Actually I think that its a ton better than the original lol. At least you can see some sense in it or some kind of positive message. Not just bitchin' around and partyin' as a 16 year old wannabe bitch.

Sry for mah language,

babyonboard
04-20-2011, 02:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npgdw5Zb7TY

lol.so this is the conservative edition of Friday isnt it? : )

BBSven
04-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Hi all,

now it really has been some time... I've been to Prague last weekend and I've been striving to shake its aftereffects off ever since, I'm sorry :D The ale there is just exceptional :)

April 21 it is, then:

It is the traditional date of the foundation of Rome by Romulus and Remus in 753 BC.

In 1509, Henry VIII was crowned King of England on this day.

In 1918, German fighter ace 'The Red Baron', aka Manfred von Richthofen was shot and killed over Vaux-sur-Somme, France.

Have a nice day,

BB

Mr. Pi
04-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Nice! I hope u had fun in Prague:). Romulus and Remus made something quite important in that year. Every road leads to Rome huh?

BBSven
04-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Nice! I hope u had fun in Prague:). Romulus and Remus made something quite important in that year. Every road leads to Rome huh?

Indeed :) Especially when there is an IPT or EPT going on there :D

The single most important anniversary for today is a lot sadder, though :( On 26 April, 1986 the nuclear power plant in Chernobyl, Ukraine exploded, releasing radioactive contamination that spread all over Europe and Russia and even reached the Eastern Coast of the USA. Ultimately, hundreds of thousands of people are said to have died as a more or less direct result of the accident. Until March, 2011 it was the only nuclear accident that had ever been classified as level 7.

:(

It will be happier next time, I promise, but I thought this was important to note...

Peace,

BB

Mr. Pi
04-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Yeah I heard about this even in the news. :| Sad event indeed but this triggered a chain of investigations around the other nuclear power plants which made them a ton safer. Who knows. Maybe if this doesnt happen some other power plant would have exploded somewhere else and would have made a way larger devastation.
Theres always a positive side whatever u think of,

BBSven
04-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Agreed, it's better to think of it that way :)

Anyhow, here's the deal for today:

In 1810, Beethoven composed on this day his piece "Für Elise."

In 1945, Benito Mussolini was arrested by Italian partisans while trying to escape, masquerading as a German soldier.

And, finally, as something quite essential for poker players: the computer mouse in its modern form was introduced by Xerox PARC in 1981.

Have a nice day,

BB

Mr. Pi
04-28-2011, 01:49 AM
Speaking of mouses. How would you guys grind on this little baby? I'm sure its still kindof intact from termites. :D

http://yeinjee.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/gadget-002-wood-mouse.jpg

castor11
04-28-2011, 06:55 PM
speaking of mouses. How would you guys grind on this little baby? I'm sure its still kindof intact from termites. :d

pi :)

:d:d:d

BBSven
05-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Hi all!

University life seems less and less compatible with regularly checking out and contributing to forums :(
But I'll try to keep it up as much as possible, I think this thread is worth the effort :)

Anyhow, today we have the anniversary of the crowning of George VI and Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon King and Queen of the UK, which took place in 1937.

In 1941, an important event happened form an online poker point of view :) Konrad Zuse presented his machine, the Z3, the first working programmable, fully automatic computer in the world.

See you soon, and don't forget to tune in to watch the final 4 of the EPT 7 Grand Final! :)

BB