Username:
Password:
Create account
Forgotten password

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anniversaries

Anniversaries

Hi all,

Im kinda into history so I thought every once in a while I'd share a famous anniversary or two that occurs on the given day. Provided anyone's interested, of course

So, today's anniversary is:

Alexander Graham Bell made the very first phone call in history on this day in 1876. He is claimed to have said: "Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you."

Have a nice day

Hi bbsven, as for one, i'd be interested.

Hey,

thanks
    Today, March 13 is the day British astronomer William Herschel discovered Uranus, the seventh planet in our solar system, in 1781.

Cheers,

BB

Hi all,

as you might know, March 15 is an extraordinary day from more than one point of view.

In 44 BC on this day Gaius Iulius Caesar was stabbed to death on the senate floor by Marcus Iunius Brutus and Gaius Cassius Longinus, among others.

In 1493, Christopher Columbus returns to Spain from his first voyage to the Americas.

In 1848, as part of a Europe-wide wave of revolutions, Hungary rises against her Austrian suppressors.

Best,

BB

Hey,

it's been a while... Anyways, today also remembers some notable anniversaries, including one closely connected to poker; that is, on March 19, 1931 gambling was legalised in Nevada, USA

In 2003, at US President George W. Bush's order the war on Iraq started.

Moreover, today is the time of a notable astrological phenomenon, the "supermoon." This means it is not only a full moon tonight but also the moon is the closest to Erath in its orbit. In fact, it hasn't been this close to our planet at the time of a full moon for about 20 years or so.

Have a nice weekend,

BB

Very nice ones! I wonder if you can actually notice the difference in the size of the moon too. Would be cool to take a photo of the moon today for instance and compare with another full moon picture which was shot under "normal circumstances".

And well about the gambling legalization in Nevada - I guess we managed to get some extra fish to feed on with that.

I like this topic and I'm quite curious what will be the anniversary for tomorrow.
    Keep the topic up cuz its cool,
    Pi

Well thank you, appreciate that Where I live it was a cloudy night, unfortunately, so if you have any photos, I'd be interested

Now, in 1916 on this day Albert Einstein published probably the most famous of his theories: that of relativity.

More sadly, I guess these couple of days will mark the beginning of whatever unfolds in Lybia...

BB

Hi all,

we have some serious stuff here today

On March 21, 1971 Otto von Bismarck became Chancellor of the newly formed German Empire.
    On the very same day, Henry Morton Stanley set out to search for missing explorer David Livingstone. That is, if I'm not mistaken

In 1963 the most famous penitentiary of all is closed: the Alcatraz.

In 1980, the US announces a boycott of the Moscow Summer Olympics, protesting against the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan of 1979.

I guess that's all for today, but I'll be back with more

Cheers,

BB

Nice ones! Keep them coming! Its cool to read a tad bit of history each day. Makes me feel somewhat more in picture - if you know what I mean.

About the Moon on Saturday - well highfive about the cloudy nights... :|

Found this one via google tho. Pretty sick:

And as a comparison a regular moon lol:

Pi
    Last edited by Mr. Pi; 03-21-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Wow that's awesome... Too bad to have failed to see it