Username:
Password:
Create account
Forgotten password

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help with laptop purchase

help with laptop purchase

hi guise,

ironical, but i'm considering buying a new laptop. i'll have one with 2/3 years of warranty, but i'm not sure about which brand should i choose. fujitsu is out, apple is too expensive atm, but i'm clueless whether i should choose lenovo/hp/dell/msi/acer. all of them offer a configuration that would suit my needs. any experinces? thx

Well I know that dells and HPs are just epic. we have 2 dells in the family and both of them work flawlessly after like 2 years. And we have a HP too and no probs with that either. That one is only around 1 years old tho.

I particulary dont like acers. Heard some ugly stories about their screen going to valuetown with 32off 8-9 months. About MSI and lenovo. Meh I dont like them cuz they are relatively new on the market.

Hope that helps,
    Pi

+1 to dell laptops. i used an old inspiron model and it was built very well. also note that they all come with 3 years warranty as default and its a huge benefit since other brands usually provide 1 or 2 years. im also in a big decision because i wanna purchase a laptop for all-in-one using and i have realized after countless hours of browsing that there isnt "best" because it depends on what do you want to use it for.

thx guys, i found a great deal i think, a dell inspiron n5010, with 4 gigs of ram, core i3 processor, ati HD6470 512MB, 1366x768HD-LED screen, 500gig HD for like $825. 3 years warranty.

Would use it for photography, retouching, gaming, movies. buy or no buy? thx

Quote Originally Posted by babyonboard View Post
    +1 to dell laptops. i used an old inspiron model and it was built very well. also note that they all come with 3 years warranty as default and its a huge benefit since other brands usually provide 1 or 2 years. im also in a big decision because i wanna purchase a laptop for all-in-one using and i have realized after countless hours of browsing that there isnt "best" because it depends on what do you want to use it for.
    What would you use it for?

Quote Originally Posted by tob1n View Post
    thx guys, i found a great deal i think, a dell inspiron n5010, with 4 gigs of ram, core i3 processor, ati HD6470 512MB, 1366x768HD-LED screen, 500gig HD for like $825. 3 years warranty.

Would use it for photography, retouching, gaming, movies. buy or no buy? thx

i like your choice and this model is one of the bests in this category(good price/value ratio) but i suggest you to buy it with ati radeon hd 5650. it has almost the same price(a bit more expensive) but way better and faster graphic card and is able to run most of todays games. good place to check them is: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Compute...s.13849.0.html

Quote Originally Posted by tob1n View Post
    What would you use it for?
    for everyday using, some poker, games, etc. i think u are planning to connect it to a bigger display, not a big deal to edit pics on a 15" display but maybe ok sometimes. my other choice could be the dell xps 15 alu, its also a good one.

thanks, appreciate your help btw i quickly changed my mind, i saw that a newer version is out: N5110
    it has a newer i3, 500gig HD, LED display, Geforce GT 525M (1gig) 4gig memory, HD webcam and stuff like that. it just came out, but i already read test that say the build quality is not so good...its a bit creaky and can get hot. they also say dead pixels are common. :S even though, for the money i have ($825) it still is the best choice with 3 years warranty...no?

yeah ive also considered this model and seemed good and gt525m is a nice card for running new games also. its newer and stronger than the 5010 but has some negatives(good review here: http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/revi...r_n5110/381366) i think both are good buys and they worth their price, its your decision

Aaaand what would be the end of the story? Which one did you choose? I hope its the Dell and I hope its the last one with the nasty little GT 424M GPU.
    Pi